In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Longfellow House-Washington's Headquarters

Longfellow House-Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site Facts

The Longfellow house at 105 Brattle Street was designated as a National Park in 1972.

Longfellow National Historic Site possesses a rich and varied collection of artifacts and archival materials. Fine arts, decorative arts, furnishings, textiles and clothing, toys, tools, and far more are to be found in the collections. The archives hold numerous family papers, letters from prominent historical figures, drawings, sheet music, and other documentary material.

The books in the Historic Library represent the largest single collection of objects at Longfellow National Historic Site. They number approximately 12,000 volumes dating from the fifteenth to twentieth century, and consist of the combined libraries of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Fanny Appleton Longfellow, their five children, grandson Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Dana, and fifty volumes once owned by the American artist Washington Allston.

Built in 1759, the house that would later become Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's first saw fame under George Washington. It was here that he took command of the Continental Army, and the building served as his first headquarters. The house later came under ownership of the famous poet when it was gifted to Longfellow as a wedding gift from his father-in-law.

The entire park comprises of 2 acres of lawns and formal gardens on which is situated the house, a carriage barn and a pergola.